Happy Saturday, friends! Wherever you are, I hope you’re well, and I hope you’re looking forward to the weekend like I am. I’m planning to spend my weekend with family and between the pages of books, and I’m very excited about it. But in the meantime, I wanted to share with you my reading must haves, and my favorite bookish accessories. Truly, the only thing you “must have” while reading is a book of some sort, but the things I want to talk about today are bookish accessories and other things that improve my reading experience in one way or another. In no way am I saying that if you don’t have these things, you’re less of a reader. As always, you do you, however you may read.
1. Book sleeves – This one is a fairly new addition to my reading life. I’ve always known that book sleeves are a thing, but I’d never owned one, even though I baby my books. I finally purchased my first book sleeves this year, and I cannot live without them now. In my opinion, they are essential if you take a book with you wherever you go.
2. Bookmarks – I am a bookmark fiend, and they are definitely a must have for me. My husband is the sort of reader who can use anything for a bookmark; receipts, gum wrappers, and even Pokemon cards on a few occasions. Me, on the other hand, I’m constantly using and collecting bookmarks, and if I have a specific bookmark that matches the aesthetic of the book I’m currently reading… *chef’s kiss*
3. Goodreads – So, listen, I know Goodreads has some issues (@ Goodreads, please improve your search function, thank you) and could use some updating, but I love being able to connect with other readers and keep up to date with what my friends are reading. I also love posting reading updates, which I do way too frequently and have way too much fun with.
4. Snacks – Okay, okay, this isn’t a bookish accessory at all, but it’s still a must for me. I love snacking all the time, but I have to have something nearby to snack on especially while I’m reading.
5. Music – I know some people prefer to read in silence, and sometimes I do, too, but there’s nothing like finding the perfect playlist to go with your current read. Even better if the author creates a playlist specifically for each of their books (Rainbow Rowell, here’s looking at you).
6. Kindle (or any e-book reader) – My Kindle is an absolute essential to my reading life. It’s portable, it’s lightweight, and there are no pages to damage. Plus, if you’re an avid reader who is trying to be more minimal at the same time, e-book readers are invaluable.
There you have it, those are my reading essentials! I’m sure I could think of more things to add to the list, but these are the main things that improve my reading experience and make reading even more fun. Leave me a comment with some of your must haves while reading, I would love to hear from you and chat about your reading essentials. Until next time, happy reading.